Sunday, March 29, 2015

Forgetting books; and book blogging

The Readers podcast had a great episode recently.  One of the main topics they discussed was forgetting books: forgetting almost everything about a book shortly after you've read it and/or forgetting you've read a book.  I am afflicted with this.  Like Thomas, I don't think it's because I read too fast (especially now when I am lucky if I make it to 50 books a year) but that I probably don't read closely enough.  Looking through the list of books I've read, I know I've read them because I can remember something about the time in my life when I read it or I can remember something about the book...but not always.  I plan to institute something similar to Simon where I take notes while reading. 

Thomas from The Readers says that forgetting books is the reason he started book blogging and I am using that as inspiration.  I love books and I love reading but my blog has been a bit of an unfocused venture.  Going forward, I intend to be more detailed in my reviews so that I can remember my favourite parts, quotes, and it may be heavy in spoiler alerts.  This is something I have struggled with and never gotten any advice on: how much of the plot should you give away in your review?  Granted, I am not a reviewer for a major magazine or newspaper but (theoretically) someone out there will read what I've written.  I wouldn't want to spoil the plot of a book that prevents someone from reading the book itself.  So maybe I won't go into ALL of the details but I will be more descriptive in what I liked about the book.  Consider yourself forewarned!

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment