Friday, January 18, 2013

"Museum's Secret" by Henry Chancellor

My first un-review*:

The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn #1; The Museum's Secret

It wasn't as good as I was hoping for.  It just kept getting weirder and weirder.  And there were too many plotlines.  By the time I was fed up with all the twists, I was halfway through the book and emotionally invested enough in the main characters that I wanted to find out how it ended.  I was so relieved when I finished it.  Yes, there's a bit of a happy ending but the book was just too "out there" for my taste.  Time travel and immortality I've read before and have no problem suspending my disbelief for that.  But stuffed museum animals that come to life?  Not so much.  And the bizarre over-the-top true identity of the bad guys.  At both the beginning and the end, there are particularly gruesome scenes that I didn't like.  While I was reading it, the pacing was done well enough that I never felt like the story was dragging.  Frankly, I'm surprised that this is classified as children's literature, even though the main character is an 11-year-old boy.  Considering the various events in the plot, I would consider it closer to young adult literature.

  Although I own the next two in the series, I worry that they will be just as weird and unnerving.  I'm not sure if I will read them.  It is because the pacing and the characters were so well done in this book that I might read the rest of the series at some point in the future.

*In case you've never heard the term before, an un-review is basically a review of a book you didn't like.  I like this idea because even though I didn't like the book, that doesn't mean that others won't.  I firmly believe in the individuality of personal reading tastes.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment